Week 2 - Make multiple of something

Multi-purpose wooden frame for a garden bed.

I do indoor hydroponics and currently I'm using mason jars and they're growing algae. For a long time I've wanted to move these into a covered water-bed reservoir type thing but I don't want it to be based on rails or pipes because it doesn't look nice indoors and is bad aesthetically.

I was thinking of making multiple of these and using them for various purposes (I could also use them as raised garden beds and aquariums or water collection for vertical gardening.

image

Measuring & Cutting the Wood

Used various saws because of sizing limits, and just experimenting with what gave me a more precise cut.

image
image
image

Verifying that the frame lines up together properly

image

Clamping everything initially and trying to drill screws in

Problem 1: Not using enough clamps

Problem 2: Screws I'm using are too long and they break the board.

Problem 3: Drilling then entering the screw taking a lot of time

image

Using more clamps now

image
image
image

Went to home depot and got some thinner self-drilling screws which made the process slightly easier and quicker.

I ended up making a total of two pieces instead of five because of the time constraint.

It took a lot longer than I would've thought or considered especially because I kept running into dead-ends and had to find ways to solve the issues.

I could have stayed up all night and gotten it done but the last time I stayed up all night to complete a project I ended up having to deal with a week of constant migraines before I recovered from it fully.

I hope this is good enough for now. I'll keep on working and sanding.

Update: 2021-12-09

image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image
image